12:00 PM - Welcome & Introductions
Aaron Biros, Editor, CannabisIndustryJournal.com - Host and Moderator
12:05 PM - Hazards and Controls of Extraction with Liquified Petroleum Gases (LPG)
Alex Hearding, Chief Risk Management Officer, NCRMA
- Identifying the common hazards of extracting with LPG (butane and propane)
- Understanding the where to find guidelines and standards for safe extraction practices
- Introduction to best practices for: selecting equipment, extraction room construction, and filling LPG extraction equipment
12:55 PM - Environmental Monitoring in Cannabis Production and Processing - TechTalk Sponsored by MilliporeSigma
Tim Cser, Senior Technology Specialist, MilliporeSigma
Environmental monitoring measures the microbial content in the air and surfaces. In particular, Aspergillus spores can be a dangerous contaminant in the Cannabis environment. Learn about viable surface/air sampling and various techniques that can be used to capture microbial contaminants in your environment.
1:10 PM - Slow is Smooth & Smooth is Fast! Understanding the Kinetics & Thermodynamics of Cannabis Extraction
Dr. Markus Roggen, Founder & CEO, Complex Biotech Discovery Ventures (CBDV)
Cannabis extraction operations focus on extraction yields. This is an imprecise way to think about production. Defining the yield as yield per pound of biomass is very difference to yield per hour. And yield should not be the only focus for extractors. Quality of extract, cost of extraction, loss in post-processing, all these aspects should be considered too.
Our laboratory undertook extensive experimental studies on the extraction behavior of various solvents. We furthermore analyzed thousands of real-world extractions, from various producers and for different instruments to build a machine learning algorithm that can optimize extraction processes autonomously.
- Just pumping more solvent through the system does not necessary speed up extraction.
- How to track the extraction process to form a basis for improvements.
- Why it is time to move beyond ‘quality in, quality out’ and yield as the benchmarks for a successful extraction operation.
2:00 PM - AuditProHBX - A New Tool for Operational Compliance in the Cannabis Industry - Tech Talk sponsored by AuditPro
Tony Martinez, Senior Vice President & General Manager, AuditPro
2:15 PM - The Quest to Discover the Limits of CO2 Extraction
Jeremy Diehl, Co-Founder & CTO, Green Mill Supercritical
- Why cannabis and hemp extraction is as much art as science, and how modifying and manipulating extraction methodologies and conditions can result in more refined products and significant cost savings.
- The true process of innovation in the CO2extraction space and what it takes to craft more sophisticated, pure and interesting cannabis and hemp products.
- Why the bottom line of any extraction business must be tied to product innovation in an industry that is constantly evolving and refining its science to create more and better products.
3:00 PM - Breaking the Limits with Solvent Recovery - Tech Talk sponsored by Heidolph Instruments
Jürgen Heyder, Business Development Manager for Rotary Evaporation, Heidolph Instruments
3:15 PM - The Future of Cannabis Concentrates: Developments in Hydrocarbon Extraction & Manufacturing
Michelle Sprawls, Laboratory Director, CULTA
- What is closed loop hydrocarbon extraction
- What products can you make with this type of extraction method
- What are the advancements for manufacturing and new techniques
4:00 PM - Process Scale UP in the Cannabis/Hemp Industry
Darwin Millard, Committee Vice Chair, ASTM International
Darwin Millard will provide real-world examples of the consequences of improper process scale up and the significance of equipment specifications, certifications and inspections, and the importance of vendor qualifications and the true cost of improper design specifications.
4:45 PM - Event Wrap Up