12:00 PM - Welcome & Introductions
Aaron Biros, Editor, CannabisIndustryJournal.com - Host and Moderator
12:05 PM - Combating Laboratory Shopping
Michael Kahn, President & Founder, MCR Labs
- Economics of lab shopping
- Effects of lab shopping on public health
- Creating incentive for honest testing and labeling
12:55 PM - Millipore Sigma Sponsored TechTalk
Dr. Stephan Altmaier, Sr. Manager, Merck KGa Darmstadt
Cannabis (marijuana) and (industrial) hemp are known to accumulate heavy metals and have been used for the remediation of contaminated soil. Due to potentially hazardous effects of these metals, this property can hinder the use of cannabis in food, cosmetic or medical industries. In addition, product contamination with metals can occur during the manufacturing process. As a consequence, food or personal care products containing hemp or hemp extract must be tested for their metal and heavy metal content.
- Use of CRMs in quantitative analysis of heavy metals by ICP-MS
- Sample prep of cannabis containing sample
1:10 PM - AOAC: Why Third-Party Accreditation Matters More than Ever
Anthony Repay, Laboratory Director, Method Testing Laboratories
Attendees will learn about the history the AOAC, the role of third-party accreditations in Cannabis microbiology testing and how to seamlessly integrate into your existing processes to enhance consumer safety.
2:00 pm - Sponsored Tech Talk
2:15 PM - The Evolution of the Hemp Testing Market: An Introduction
Mikhail Gadomski, Principal Chemist, Deibel Laboratories
- What is the Difference Between Hemp and Cannabis?
- What are Natural and Synthetic Psychoactive Cannabinoids; THC 9, CBD, THC 8, THC 10, THCO, etc.?
- Status of Federal and State Testing Regulations
3:00 PM - Cannabinoid Extraction Efficiency for Potency Analysis: An In-Depth Look of Multiple Techniques
Melinda Urich, LC Solutions Scientist, Restek
- The importance of extraction efficiency.
- Variables to consider when choosing a sample preparation technique.
- Understanding which technique is best for your testing lab.
3:45 PM - Wrap up