12:00 PM - Welcome & Introductions
Aaron Biros, Editor, CannabisIndustryJournal.com - Host and Moderator
12:05 PM - Elevating Edibles: Defining the Next Cannabis Experience
Sam Rose, Director of Operations, Herve
- Luxury edibles and form factor: Moving away from get high first and think about what you’re consuming second, a pivot from sugar filled, bad tasting edibles to delicious and refined ingredients. Non-juvenile form factors, healthier options, efficacy
- Concentrates and infusion: Providing the consumer with the right high using the right ratios and concentrates. Bioavailability, highlighting the plant, absorption method (sublingual)
- Giving the consumer what they NEED not what they WANT: We’re at a fragile point in time where people are either trying cannabis for the first time or experimenting with it again for the first time in a long time. We need to make sure these people have a good experience and not scare them away. High MG edibles and high % Flower is not the way to do this - the how high for cheap model is really toxic for the industry. We need to educate, we need to provide clean low dose edibles and more curated flower.
12:55 PM - Cannabinoids Analysis of Hemp Derived Products - Developing Methods that are Robust & Dependable - TechTalk Sponsored by MilliporeSigma
Dr. Sunil P. Badal, Senior Scientist, Innovations/Advanced Analytical R&D, MilliporeSigma
- Understand the challenges of sample of preparation for hemp and hemp infused products and find out the methods to overcome them.
- Learn about the robust and dependable HPLC methods for hemp and hemp derived sample analysis.
1:10 PM - Cannabis Beverages: The Rise of a New Market & a New Consumer
Christiane Campbell, Partner, Duane Morris, LLP
- The current landscape and regulatory red tape surrounding cannabis beverage brands
- Selecting and adopting a cannabis beverage brand
- Protecting a cannabis beverage brand
2:00 PM - Infused Products and Packaging Formats - Tech Talk Sponsored by Berlin Packaging
Julie Saltzman, Director of Cannabis Business Development, Berlin Packaging
Beyond the specific state packaging and labeling requirements and regulations, infused product manufacturers need to be cognizant of how specific formats interact with their container. From THC leaching in beverage cans and PET to melting to food safety requirements, you will learn some of the challenges and solutions for successful retail ready packaging of your infused products. Berlin Packaging helps cannabis customers of all sizes navigate the complex infused product landscape.
2:15 PM - One Symbol to Rule Them All! Harmonization is Finally Here!
Darwin Millard, Owner & Founder, TSOC LLC, ASTM Subcommittee Co-Chair
A picture is worth 1000 words, but with a hogbog of "universal" symbols, is something getting lost in translation? ASTM International’s new standard, ASTM D8441/8441M, Specification for an International Symbol for Identifying Consumer Products Containing Intoxicating Cannabinoids, serves to establish a truly harmonized international warning symbol. Learn about the significance and use of this all-important standard from one of the members of ASTM Committee D37 on Cannabis who helped developed it.
3:05 PM - Fool-proofing the Edible Supply Chain: How to Create an Effective Supplier Approval Program - Tech Talk sponsored by CSQ
Tyler Williams, Founder & CTO, Cannabis Safety & Quality (CSQ)
- Supplier approval programs do more than just provide transparency within your supply chain. They can prevent your brand from undergoing a detrimental recall and ensure that you offer your consumers the safest and highest quality product.
- Four steps for implementing an effective supplier approval program include: Developing proper procedures, Assigning individual employees to perform said procedures, Training each of those employees accordingly, and last but not least, Monitor suppliers continuously
- Discerning edible manufacturers who perform a risk assessment while raising a series of questions to each supplier ahead of time will see the most success in the end.
3:20 PM - Evaluating the Safety of CBD - Data Needs
Dr. Steven Gendel, Principal & Advisor, Gendel Food Safety, LLC
- Understanding how regulatory agencies think about safety for the ingredients in edibles
- What we can learn from the EFSA data call
- What is a realistic time frame for the process
4:10 pm - Wrap up